M+V is the name given to the interdisciplinary collaborations of Paulina Velazquez-Solis and Travis Johns. Mixing visual arts, music and performance, they strive for spontaneous juxtapositions of improvisation and narrative using shapes and sounds that trigger symbolic notions, both familiar and unfamiliar.
Active collaborators since 2006, this collaboration is a progression of their artistic interests, combining their experiences in different disciplines with the intended goal of finding the numerous intersections where the natural world combines with the human experience.
Paulina comes from the visual arts, working primarily with animation, drawing and sculpture. Starting in 2009, she expanded her medium to include experimental music with the live animation and sound project Multifungi.
Travis is a musician and composer, who combines field-recording based soundscapes with home-built instruments. Recently, his work has expanded to also include bio-art oriented multimedia experiments, creating images derived from earthworms and river currents, among other things.
In 2010, the duo began performing as M+V. To date, they have performed at such places as the Berkeley Art Museum/Pacific Film Archive and Fort Mason’s Herbst Pavilion, as well as the Festival de Música Electroacústica de Costa Rica, and most recently at the Costa Rican Biennial on the Arts.
- 07.27.2012 – Soundwave ((5)) Humanities Innovative Art and Music Biennial, The Lab, San Francisco, Ca.
- 11.07.2011 – Bienarte, Costa Rican Biennial, Galería Nacional, San José, Costa Rica.
- 05.25.2011 – V Festival de Musica Electroacoustica, Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica, San José, Costa Rica. Featured live performance, curated by Extremos Sonoros and Otto Castro Solano.
- 04.12.2011 – Oberlin College Conservatory of Music, Oberlin, Oh. Lecture/demonstration presented to members of the Technology in Music and Related Arts Department.
- 05.14.2011 – Herbst Pavilion, Fort Mason, San Francisco, Ca. – Presented as part of the San Francisco Art Institute’s annual Vernissage Festival.
- 03.12.2010 – Berkeley Art Museum/Pacific Film Archive (BAMPFA), UC Berkeley, Berkeley, Ca. Performance as part of the L@te at Bampfa performance series.
- 11.08.2011 – La Nacion, San José, Costa Rica
- 09.27.2012 – Art Animal Magazine
- 12.19.2012 – ArtNexus
- 12.23.2012 – ARC Magazine
- 01.15.2013 – La Estrella, Panama City, Panama
- 01.15.2013 – La Prensa, Panama City, Panama
- 01.15.2013 – Amelia Rueda, San José, Costa Rica
- 01.16.2013 – RedCultura.com, San José, Costa Rica
- 01.16.2013 – TeleSur, Panama City, Panama
- 01.20.2013 – La Nacion, San José, Costa Rica
- 01.27.2013 – La Prensa, Panama City, Panama
- 03.10.2013 – Centre for the Aesthetic Revolution, London/Mexico